Setting Expectations for 2024

Happy new year!  I wanted to take the opportunity to briefly lay out what my plans and thoughts are for the study group in 2024 so that members and visitors know what to expect.

When I decided to set up the study group it was because I felt like I wanted to begin discussing and exploring the aikido that I had learnt and not the aikido I was taught.  I didn't want to break away completely and lose the opportunity to train with my friends (both past and future) who remain members of Aikido UK and so I decided that I would also remain a member of Aikido UK but that the study group would not be an Aikido UK class.

To that end, I wrote a new syllabus and began working on a curriculum for the Sanchin Aikido study group to follow, I documented rules, created other useful materials, and published everything that I was doing on a new website.

For clarity: study group members are not, by default, members of Aikido UK (though there is no obstacle to them becoming one), and members of Aikido UK are not automatically study group members.  On the other hand, by mutual agreement between all instructors, visitors from Aikido UK clubs are welcome to train at the study group free of charge and the same is true vice-versa.

This is a very welcome arrangement, as it brings more friends together to train, but due to stylistic differences it could be the source of some confusion.  I'd like to explain a little about how I want to make some changes to how I address this (potential confusion) going into 2024.

"Say cheese!"

Aikido is a broad term that can apply to many different styles, and within those styles many more variations, then again within those variations each instructor may have their own personal views and peculiarities.  I don't see this as a problem, but rather as a strength: infinite diversity in infinite combinations.  It is my opinion that multiple viewpoints or perspectives enhance the whole picture rather than clouding its purity.

It is also my view that in martial arts we should all strive to eventually discover our own personal style; find the variations and methods that work for our own bodies and minds; take what we are shown and make it uniquely our own.

I do not want to "build a legacy" or encourage others to clone exactly how I move or copy precisely what I do.  I would like for everyone to think for themselves and to find enjoyment in the study and development of their aikido.

My primary goal was and continues to be to gather a small group of like-minded friends so that we can train together, have fun, learn new things, and discover our own personal aikido.  I also want to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to learn from other schools and styles of aikido because bringing back that unique experience and having the opportunity to assimilate it is just another way of adding more value to the group as a whole.

Looking back over the year (2023) I am very grateful to everyone who came down to train, I had a lot of fun and I think overall the study group has so far been a huge success, but I also feel it's important for me to self-evaluate and make adjustments to keep on track and align as closely as I can with my goals.

As anyone who has had the (mis)fortune of discussing any of my interests with me will know, and in particular about aikido, I do a lot of talking.  Much of the time I'm thinking out loud and hoping to crowdsource better answers from the group, but I have come to realise that I spent a significant amount of time explaining the difference between what I was showing and how it may be shown elsewhere (or explaining why my words may be different from what other instructors may say).

I have decided that going forward I will place much less focus on this aspect of discussion, so that there is more time spent on what I want to say rather than explaining why or how it may be different elsewhere.

I still don't mean this to cause disruption or confusion to anyone who is an Aikido UK member whether they are visiting the study group or whether I am attending an Aikido UK class, but I feel it's important that I give priority and invest my best efforts towards the Sanchin Aikido study group members.

Visitors are still very welcome, it's just that I want to make it clear that I won't, as a general rule, spend extra time covering variations and contrasting what I'm saying or doing with how it's done or said elsewhere.  I would encourage everyone to take charge of their own learning and think about or explore those differences in their own way.

In short, while I'm attending the study group sessions I'll focus on talking about and doing what I feel is my aikido (and what is described by the Sanchin Aikido syllabus) but while I'm attending at any Aikido UK classes (if asked to instruct or provide my opinion) I'll focus on talking about and doing my best to replicate what the Aikido UK syllabus describes.  In both cases, unless explicitly asked to do otherwise.

This does not mean that anyone who attends the study group is forced to do things exactly as I do.

Assuming that it still results in a technique or exercise that is safe and fun, anyone (including study group members or visitors from other organisations) is free to practice the variation that works best for them.

The point of the study group is to learn from different perspectives after all, but as the responsible person in terms of organising the learning experience and meeting all health, safety, legal, and insurance requirements I will retain oversight and make any final decision on what is safe and permitted while supervising the group.

I feel that this arrangement allows me more freedom to explore my own style of aikido and how I'd like to teach it without being at risk of stepping on anyone's toes or causing disruption or confusion while continuing my training with my friends in Aikido UK.

As for where I want to place my focus during the year to drive the study group forward, there are a few things I'd like to do...

I would like to continue with regularly reviewing and using the common Japanese terminology for describing techniques and exercises so that study group members can comfortably visit other aikido schools if they want to, or more easily find materials that relate to the technique(s) they're interested in for comparison and research purposes.

I have also been developing materials for a 5 week introductory course and I'm hoping to launch this later in the year along with an advertising campaign as a way of bringing new people to the study group and giving them an easy and welcoming start to their training.

While I have no ambitions to grow the study group to a size that would detract from the small group interpersonal learning experience (and being mindful of the available training space), attracting new people and reaching a total membership of between 6 and 10 would be a responsible target, nicely balancing the learning experience and financial perspectives.

Visiting other schools and friends to compare notes and learn different perspectives on aikido is also something I would like to continue with this year, and I hope to bring back even more new ideas to play with.

The first "Random Afternoon Development Training" (RAD Training) event was a lot of fun and I'm looking into when I can plan some more of these to focus on specific topics.  If you have any ideas please don't hesitate to shout out!

Refreshed video content for the purposes of revision has been on the back-burner for a while but it's definitely on my to-do list to start progressing again this year.

Finally I'd just like to say that I'm excited to see what we can achieve together and looking forward to another year of fun and learning!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

- Graeme


All content is subject to a disclaimer which explains the context in which all views are expressed.


Comments